Health News Pets Care

7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths

7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths

In a new review of studies, two animal health researchers in Italy drew up a list of the 7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths!!!

Find out which of the 7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths on the flip…

7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths

You might have been tempted to spoil your furry family member with a treat from your plate, but before you do, has the latest information to keep your best friend around a lot longer.

No one wants to be giving their puppy, dog or kitty one of the following causes of Pet Deaths!

First of all, make sure you’re not sharing one of the common foods that can cause serious, and sometimes fatal, medical problems for cats and dogs. In a new review of studies, two animal health researchers in Italy drew up a list of the foods that are the most common culprits in pet poisonings worldwide.

The list of human foods that are toxic to cats and dogs continues to grow as cases get reported. All the food below are causes of Pet Deaths. And in many instances, scientists don’t know the exact biological reasons why certain foods sicken animals.

“While some foodstuffs, such as chocolate, have long been known to cause poisoning in dogs and cats, others, such as grapes, had previously been considered unlikely to cause problems, and have emerged as a potential concern only in the last few years,” the authors of the review, Cristina Cortinovis and Francesca Caloni, of the University of Milan in Italy, wrote in their paper.

In general, dogs are affected more than cats, in part because they eat pretty much anything, whereas cats are somewhat protected because they’re pickier eaters, the researchers found.

Here are the 7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths:

7 – Chocolate, coffee and caffeine – Chocolate has a dark side: Cocoa-based products are the items most commonly involved in food poisoning in pets, causing anything from mild problems such as tummy aches to seizures and death. These “poisoning episodes frequently occur around holidays, when there is a higher occurrence of chocolate products in the home,” the researchers wrote.

Initial symptoms often occur within 2 to 4 hours after ingestion and include restlessness, excessive thirst, urinary incontinence and vomiting. “Dogs can be in an excited state,” and have a fever or rapid heart rate, the researchers said. If the animal gets prompt treatment, it often can recover well, but delaying treatment can result in seizures, coma and even death from abnormal heart rhythm or respiratory failure. Don’t let anyone fool you chocolate is a main cause of Pet Deaths.

6 – Xylitol – The next most common toxic foods for pets are products sweetened with an artificial sweetener called xylitol. Xylitol isfrequently used in products such as sugar-free gum, candy, bread and other baked goods. Xylitol is also found in dental care products (for both people and pets) because of its antibacterial properties. Xylitol is a major cause of Pet Deaths!

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning may develop within 30 to 60 minutes of ingestion, but they also may occur up to 12hours later. These symptoms include vomiting and signs of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), such as lethargy, inability to control movements, collapsing and seizures.

5 – Onions, chives, garlic and leeks – According to the review, between 1994 and 2008, there were 69 reported cases of dog poisonings and four cases of cat poisonings from Allium foods. The cases included a range of different foods: raw and baked garlic, Catalan spring onions (commonly known as “calcot”), onion souffl, butter-cooked onions and steamed dumplings containing Chinese chives. Onions and other Allium plantsmaintain the compounds that cause their toxic effects even after being cooked or dried, the researchers added.

4 – Alcohol – the forth cause of Pet Deaths is Ethanol, or alcohol, poisoning in small animals generally occurs when an animal accidentally ingests an alcoholic beverage. However, cases of alcohol poisoning in dogs have been reported after dogs have ingested rotten apples, sloe berries used to make sloe gin, and uncooked bread and pizza dough, all of which contain the compound.

When pets digest ethanol, it gets rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and reaches the brain, just as it does in humans. Within an hour, the animals may show depression, loss of movement control, lethargy, sedation and high body temperature. Animals may go into a coma and develop a dangerously slow breathing rate. In most of the reported cases, the affected pets recovered after receiving treatment and supportive care.

3 – Grapes and their dried products (raisins, sultanas and currants) – Grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants in both raw and cooked forms (including those found in snack bars and baked goods) have been reported to cause kidney failure in dogs. However, not all dogs have the same reactions to these foods, according to the review.

In a recent study that looked at 180 case reports involving dogs’ ingestion ofgrapes and relatedfruits, some animals didn’t show any symptoms after eating 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) of raisins, while others died after eating just a handful. Dogs that develop symptoms may show signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy and abdominal pain within 24hours of ingesting the grape products. Who knew grapes and sun dried products cause Pet Deaths?

2 – Hops – Hops are commonly used for brewing beer, and have become more of a risk to pets as more and more people pick up home brewing as a hobby, according to the review. Hops is a big no no it causes Pet Deaths.

Hops contain a variety of compounds including resins, essential oils and tannins which can lead to fever when pets ingest them. Other symptoms include anxiety, rapid heart rate, panting, vomiting, abdominal pain and seizures. The affected animals may show symptoms within hours of eating hops. The risk of death can remain high even after the animal is treated for fever.

1 – Macadamia nuts – Macadamia nuts are popular and healthy snacks for humans, but they can poison dogs. It’s not clear how much of these nuts, when ingested by dogs, can cause serious problems. However, some reports indicate that the ingestion of as little as 0.7 grams per kg of nuts is enough to cause symptoms and Pet Deaths.

Symptoms of macadamia-nut poisoning develop within 12hours and may include weakness (particularly hind-limb weakness), vomiting, inability to control movements, shaking, fever, abdominal pain, stiffness and pale mucous membranes. Macadamia-nut poisoning may not be very common, but in just five years, more than 80 cases were reported just in Queensland, Australia, a major area for macadamia-nut cultivation. No pet deaths resulting from macadamia-nut ingestion have been reported to date, and animals are expected to fully recover within a day or two with minimal treatment, the researchers wrote.

We hope this was helpful. What did you think about the 7 Foods That Cause Most Pet Deaths?


About the author


Omar, 34, hails from Los Angeles. He is a graduate of the University of Northridge. Omar has been in entertainment for 12 years working in production and writing. Omar who goes by Ocho and keeps you in the know about hip hop, Movies, Reality TV and Sports.